IRMA seeks to build on the existing foundation of research, tools, and initiatives
A range of work has gone before IRMA: from the Framework for Responsible Mining, the ICMM principles, to the findings of the Mining Minerals and Sustainable Development project and the Mining Certification Evaluation Project.
Below is a list of documents/initiatives that are part of that foundation.
- Actualizing Sustainable Mining. Ivan Weber, Weber Sustainability Consulting.
- Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining: Challenges and opportunities. IIED, 2003.
- Base Metal and Iron Ore Mining. World Bank, July 1998.
- Breaking New Ground: Mining, Minerals & Sustainable Development. May 2002
- Enduring Value, the Australian Minerals Industry Framework for Sustainable Development, 2005
- Environmental Excellence in Exploration. Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- The Equator Principles. A risk management framework, adopted by financial institutions.
- The Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
- Framework for Responsible Mining. David Chambers, Catherine Coumans and Marta Miranda.
- Finding Common Ground: Indigenous peoples and their association with the mining sector. IIED, 2003.
- The Global Reporting Initiative
- Guide to Instruments of Corporate Responsibility: an overview of 16 tools for labour fund trustees. Ran Goel and Wesley Cragg, October 2005.
- International Council on Mining & Metals Sustainable Development Framework (Principles, Reporting and Assurance)
- The International Cyanide Management Code for the Gold Mining Industry
- ISEAL Code of Good Practice for Setting Social and Environmental Standards, January 2006
- Environmental and Social Standards, International Finance Corporation
- Mining Certification Evaluation Project. Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (Australia)
- Mining for Closure: Policies and Guidelines for Sustainable Mining Practice and Closure of Mines. UNEP, 2005.
- Potential Information Requirements in Metal Leaching/Acid Rock Drainage Assessment and Mitigation Work. MEND Report 5.10, January 2005.
- Room to Manoeuvre: Mining, biodiversity and protected areas. IIED, 2004.
- Towards Sustainable Mining. Mining Association of Canada
- The United Nations Global Compact
- The Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights
To suggest other resources, please drop us a line at: firstname.lastname@example.org